Friday, March 23, 2012

Hugo

I watched this movie last weekend but have not had the chance to post on it until now. I know this makes two negative reviews in a row, but it wasn't terribly good. I think it would make a decent book (I heard it was a book first? I wouldn't know) but isn't a very good movie. The director used a strange mixture of animation and live-action that was just confusing. I think the editing would have been much better without the animation.
 Also, the trailer led me to believe it was a totally different kind of movie. I was expecting something more along the lines of an action-packed mystery. Although it was technically this, it was very mellow and had a very different vibe than I expected. I thought that the mechanical man would be a much bigger part of the story than he was. In all honesty, it was the mystery behind the mechanical man that made me want to see the movie. I was curious about him, and was sorely disappointed. I can understand why people enjoy the movie, especially if they've already read the book. Sometimes that creates a special connection between the viewer and the movie. I guess I'm just not one of those people this time around. I think there are much better family movies out there. (*cough, cough UP, cough, cough.)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment