Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Koyaanisqatsi

Yes, that is a real word. I don't know what it means though. It's the name of a film I had to watch today in one of my art classes. But before I review the film, let me tell you a little interesting fact about myself.
I don't sleep when the TV is on, not ever. Sometimes it's a curse, other days its a blessing. It means I always managed to stay awake during those old educational videos in history. One of my earliest memories is of New Years Eve watching a movie with my cousins and everyone else falling asleep long before the movie was over. I was the only one to finish it because I cannot sleep through TV noises. It's pretty much the only thing that I can't sleep through, heck, I'm from a family of seven, you learn how to sleep through almost anything, trust me.
So then, what does it say when I fall asleep during this film?
Let me tell you why: there was no narrative. The only speaking in the whole film was this deep bass chanting in part of one of the songs that played during the 1.5 hour film. The film was a collage of different scenes ranging from landscapes to people in the city to traffic at night. I was asleep in less than 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong- I've watched documentaries and my two favorite actors are from black and white movies. It's not that I'm one of those teenagers that doesn't know how to handle "good films". It was just plain boring. So please, if you ever see this film in some obscure corner of your local Blockbuster, do two things for me.
1. Let me know, because I'd be shocked.
2. Don't pick it up. Save yourself two hours of your life. Spend those hours talking to your grandma or learning how to say hello in 59 different languages. You're going to have to trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment