Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Left Neglected

No, I am not talking about myself fortunately. I am very much so not neglected. Its actually the title of a book by Lisa Genova. I enjoyed this book but there were a few scenes I skipped. It's about a working mom who gets into a car crash and ends up with brain damage. The left half of the world no longer exists for her. No, really. She doesn't see the left side of her plate, or a cat, or even herself. She can't use her left hand because to her brain there is no left hand. Besides the two scenes I skipped I enjoyed the book. The main character really grew and came to recognize what is really important in life. I think it can be a great wake up call to the to do list side of us.
After I finish this blog post I am heading over to one of BYU's weekly devotionals with my roommate. I love being able to go to devotionals, it's so nice to have a chance to listen to great minds and receive their insight.
On a slight side note, I have the hiccups. Its very obnoxious.
This last week my mom was in town and I loved every minute of her being here. It's amazing how much closer I've gotten to my parents now that I don't live at home anymore. I think its because I really appreciate how awesome they are now. And I'm exposed to more people who don't have as great of parents as I do, which makes it even more obvious how blessed I am.
So I'm a pre visual arts major, and last night I think I was on the verge of a mini panic attack about this. I felt very overwhelmed, because I honestly do not think I'm a good enough artist to get into the program. It's very selective and extremely competitive, and most of the people going into the program have been preparing for it all through high school. I decided to try to be a visual arts major about a month ago. It felt right in a way nothing else did, so I decided to jump for it. But I'm terrified, because I don't really have a backup plan. My theory behind this is 1.) I have no idea what it would be and 2.) I think it will help me work harder to get into the program. I know I could learn everything I need to know if given the time and resources, but I'm not so sure that will happen. Instead I'm constantly doodling and trying new things (at least as much as I can when I don't have any quality supplies yet). Wish me luck, I start my first pre-VA classes next semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment