Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Heir Apparent and an update on me

So I'll start with a book review. I randomly chose one off of the list on the side of my blog, so Heir Apparent it is. I haven't read this for years, but I do have fond memories of it. It's a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy. The main character , a girl who's name I can't remember, goes to a video game place. It' s in the future, and when you play games you get completely immersed, as if you were in the world. She decides to play a Middle Ages game, and things are going swimmingly until something goes wrong outside the game. She has to finish the game aka win within a certain time limit or her brain will be fried. That's all I'll say without giving away juicy details. It's a good book for preteen/teenagers, definitely a light read. It's got action and a hint of romance. No, really. A HINT of romance. If I'm remembering right. It could have been me reading more into the story than is really there.

Alright, now onto my life. I'm adjusting to my new schedule finally. This upcoming week will be almost as busy as finals week, so we'll see how that goes. I'll have three exams and two papers. I was a little freaked out when I realized that. In response I have become super organized. I have color-coded sticky notes on my computer screen (did you know computers had that program? I was stoked when I found out), a color-coded calendar on my white board, a to do sticky note on my whiteboard, and color coding in my agenda.
I like colors.
I've also joined the building council for my building, which means I'll help plan activities. So far I haven't been able to help a whole lot with work and such, but I'm determined to do something extracurricular. Let me rephrase that. Something FUN and extracurricular. Work doesn't count. Although I do enjoy making money, it makes me feel much more secure about next year.

But college has proposed quite a dilemma for me. I am having a very difficult time finding time and energy to write. When I do have time I spend it socializing. I don't want to give up any of my social time, but I do want to write. I'm having to learn to squeeze it in here and there, but this makes it hard to stay inspired. I'll have to find a constant time to write, even if it is just one hour a week. That's better than my five minutes here and ten there. That's hardly enough to get anything done! The moment I get into my groove I have to set it back down. I'm hoping as things get even more settled I'll be able to write again. I refuse to give up on my main story. I have started over and brainstormed and labored for too many hours on that story to set it aside. I think this is my third (fourth maybe?) time starting over. I wouldn't have, except that I needed to switch which character was talking. This last time I started over I thought about it for MONTHS first. I was pretty far into the story and didn't really want to write the beginning all over again. I'd spend probably about 5 months on that version. But I eventually realized that it would never work if I didn't change the point of view. Of course, it was the simplest route that I should have started with in the first place. Figures.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment